Collins Hospital for Animals has serviced the Washington D.C. metropolitan area since 1917. Our ongoing desire is to provide the best quality of veterinary care to our patients, their loved ones and to the community. We accomplish this by having a dedicated staff that truly cares, and having access to the latest technology both in house and through our referral service. Client education is the key to our success.
We are pleased to service the following types of pets:
- Rabbits and Guinea pigs*
- Small rodents*
Appointments are scheduled Mon-Sat by the receptionist team by calling us at 202-659-8830. Our receptionists and other team members will do our best to accommodate all requests to the best of our ability. In the case of an emergency with your pet, please call us so that we can direct you appropriately depending on your pet’s situation.
EMERGENCY AND URGENT CARE
We have personnel on duty six days a week but do not have a veterinarian on premises at all times. If you think your pet has a life threatening emergency, please call the office to let us know you are coming. If we are not properly staffed we will refer you to the closest emergency hospital.
We also offer urgent care when the condition is not life threatening. If you feel your pet needs to be seen before you are able to get a regular appointment, our veterinarians will work to "squeeze" you in between scheduled appointments. When you arrive, our receptionists will be able to give you an estimate on how long you may have to wait in order to be seen.
* (exotic pets are seen by specific veterinarians only)
TYPES OF SERVICES WE OFFER
- We offer full service appointments for both healthy and ill pets
- Emergencies and work-in’s appointments are welcome during normal hospital hours. Please call the hospital first if possible so that we can determine best course of action to help with your pet. Emergencies can be things such as accidental ingestion of rat poison, hit by car, and chocolate ingestion.
- Technician appointments are available for routine services not required by a doctor such as nail trims, anal glands, subQ fluids
- We offer Exotic pet exams and services*
- Convenient drop-off exams and services are available by appointment to our clients for both
- In-House laboratory evaluations including bloodwork, fecal analysis, urinalysis and cytology
- Outside lab services available for those non-routine analyses.
- Quick turn around regarding most lab tests
- State of the art digital radiography allowing for quick precise readings while you wait.
- Digital copies are available upon request
- Elective surgeries such as spays, neuters, lump removals, are offered
- Non-elective surgeries are offered on a case by case basis
- Close monitoring by an anesthesia technician as well as equipment that monitors heart rate and oxygen levels are available for most surgical procedures.
- We perform routine dental cleaning and polish as well as minor extractions and retained baby teeth extractions
- More sophisticated dental procedures requiring advanced equipment and radiography are referred to specialists.
- Rabbit and rodent dentistry are also available
International and Domestic health certificates
- USDA accredited veterinarian
- ISO compatible microchip implantation
Boarding and Day Care
- Short and long term stays available
- In house veterinary services while your pet boards
- We specialize in boarding Exotic pets (rabbits, rodents, ferrets, birds and reptiles)
- Outside walks and exercise for dogs
- Inside exercise for willing felines